I have naturally curly hair. I didn’t even know this until way after puberty because I started perming my bone straight hair when I was about 10 years old. Then one day it occurred to me that it had been a very long time since my last perm and my hair was still curly. Imagine my surprise. So now, day in and day out, I just wash and air dry my hair. It generally looks pretty okay, I think (aside from the gray hairs that are sneaking in and my roots that currently need touched up). I call it my “mom do.” The do that I sport because I don’t generally have the time or energy to do anything fancier.
Then one day the nice people at Misikko asked me if I would like to try one of their professional flat irons.
I said, “why not?”
I received (free) to review a Hana Professional 1″ Flat Iron.
Some key features of the Hana are:
- Advanced Tourmaline Ceramic Plates for Accelerated Ion Generation and Maximum Frizz-Free, Conditioning Shine
- Ceramic is naturally hygienic, protects color & retards fading
- Floating 1” Plates Auto-Adjust To Glide Over Any Hair Texture
- Curved Plate Edges For Versatile Styling – Curl, Flip or Straighten!
- Adjustable Temperature Dial – 5 Settings from 140-450° F for All Hair Types
- Flash Heats in Seconds with Instant Compensation for Heat Loss
- Ergonomic Handle Design with No-Slip Grip
- Smooth Grooves Keep Hair Strands Separate and Snag-Free
- Tangle-Free Salon Quality Cord Swivels 360°; Convenient Hanging Loop
- Energy Efficient at 38 Watts
- Independent On/Off Switch
- Includes Luxe Heat Proof Storage Pouch, Heat Proof Silicone Mat, & Special Edition Tin Case
- Made in Korea
- Two Year Warranty
I think I remember using some cheap flat iron once or twice when I was younger, but this was the first time I got to use a professional grade ceramic flat iron. I busted it out on Thanksgiving since it was a special occasion and I thought I would fancy up my “mom do.”
Thanksgiving, I took a shower (shocking!) and I put some anti-frizz serum in my hair. I didn’t even put my normal gel product, but I think next time I will. While my hair was still damp, I started straightening it. I really had no idea what I was doing or how to do it right. But trying to mimic my hair dressers moves (who always straightens my hair) I started at the roots and slowly went down to the ends. I got even more fancy by trying to flip the ends under.
It was pretty easy going. It dried quickly and did a great job at taming my curls. Here is how it ended up:
I think it takes a while to get the hang of the flat iron when you are not used to it. But it was fun to get dressed up and have my hair fixed different. I know lots of ladies that use a flat iron regularly and are good at it. I think I need some more practice. I plan on trying it again for our Christmas party on the 19th…I should have my roots touched up by then (I hope).
The Hana Ceramic Flat Iron certainly did it’s job quickly and left my hair feeling soft and not all fried. It is available for purchase at Misikko.com and retails for $189.99 (currently it’s on sale for only $119.99). I really look forward to practicing more.
First Mandatory Entry
Bonus Entry for This Contest ONLY
Follow Misikko on Twitter
This giveaway will end on December 15th at 10:00pm Pacific Time. Winner will be chosen at random.org from all valid entries. Winner will be notified by email and have 72 hours to claim their prize. In case it wasn’t already clear, I received a complimentary Hana Flat Iron for the purpose of reviewing and providing feedback. The opinions expressed on mommy23monkeys.com are always my own.