My friend posted on her facebook this week that her miniature pot belly pigs had four wicked cute piglet babies. I have been oohing and awing over her pictures for days. I’ve taken pictures of my computer screen so I can send them to Cheryl so she can ooh and aw over them, too. That’s how obsessed I am with them.
I have always thought it would be cool to have a pig for a pet. They are so cute and from what I’ve researched online, they make amazing pets. Here is some of what I’ve learned*:
- Pot belly pigs are very social. They love to follow their people around and be included with the family.
- They are intelligent! Pigs rate #5 on the intelligent animal scale only following man, monkeys, dolphins and whales! They are even smarter than dogs.
- Pot belly pigs are VERY clean and odor free.
- They can be potty trained to go in a litter box or in one designated spot in the yard. Unlike dogs who kinda just go where they want.
- Pigs hardly shed and are usually non-allergenic.
- They have a life span of 15-20 years.
- They are easily trained to do tricks (going back to the whole intelligence thing).
- Pigs are low maintenance and generally non-destructive.
I mean, why wouldn’t I want a piggy?? We live in a rural area so zoning isn’t an issue (some cities don’t let you have a pet pig), our yard is fenced and since Gabe is allergic to cats, a non-allergenic pig would be good for him.
If you have experience with having a pet pig I would love to hear from you. I know this is going to be a hard sell to my husband and my mother who lives next door. They already think I’m a nut so I need to be able to convince them that this is a good idea!
*Facts about potbelly pigs gathered from www.potbellypigs.com