It’s really a challenge for me to keep Anthony interested in reading. It’s not fun for him, it’s just a chore. I think it has a lot to do with his ADHD. He will start reading something but lose interest quickly. When I try to read to him, he is in a million places and never really listens to the story at all.
It’s very discouraging as a home-schooling mom.
But one young reader series (7+) has kept his attention, and that is Captain Underpants.
All of the boys have been fans of Captain Underpants for a while now and we own several of the books. Even I chuckle when reading about his adventures as told through the eyes of George and Harold, a couple of young aspiring comic-book writers. The books were always clever and amusing for Anthony and I.
Well, now George and Harold have created a new super-hero, Super Diaper Baby, much to their Principal’s dismay.
George and Harold are in big trouble again! Their mean principal, Mr. Krupp, has had it with their comic books. But the boys aren’t giving up, and they decide to create an all-new epic novel about a subject they’ve never tackled before!
Dr. Dilbert Dinkle started his career as an ordinary, everyday evil genius/inventor/bank robber. But when he awakens one day transformed into a walking, talking puddle of pee, he vows to destroy every toilet in town. Will the devious Dr. Dinkle and his conniving cat, Petey, ruin restrooms for the rest of us? Or could this be a job for the death-defying, dynamic duo of Super Diaper Baby and Diaper Dog?
Here are my 6 year old’s thoughts on the Super Diaper Baby 2 (his words, I only edited spelling and punctuation):
I love the book, it is funny, cool and cute. I love the end of it when it shows how to draw poop. It is the best book ever, the end.
The only thing that annoys me about these books is the intentional misspellings, although, I completely understand why they are there. They are written as if the kids wrote them…their words, their spelling. But as a home school mom trying to teach spelling, it bothers my OCD side. But if you can get over it, it adds to the charm and lends authenticity to these children stories.
The second book in the series is the Adventures of Super Diaper Baby 2:The Invasion of the Potty Snatchers and it was released to bookstores on June 28, 2011. It is available at all major bookstores as well as Amazon and the Scholastic Store. Lucky for you, I am giving a few away! YAY!
First Mandatory Entry
Tell me about your favorite childhood story or book. Mine was the classic Alice in Wonderland. I don’t remember having funny books about underwear wearing superhero’s when I was a kid! Darn shame, too.
- Tweet the contest @OhRheally and earn one extra entry per tweet. You can tweet as often as you like for unlimited entries. You must link back in a comment showing me each tweet. Please do not SPAM your followers, must have at least 50 followers to count.
- Subscribe to OhRheally with email updates or RSS for two entries. Leave two comments letting me know you subscribed.
- Blog about my contest on your own blog linking back to me and to my contest sponsor, receive 3 entries. Leave me three comments, with the link.
- Become a Facebook Fan and receive one extra entry. Don’t forget the comment.
- Leave me a comment on any non-giveaway post and receive an extra entry. Just leave me a comment on the contest letting me know what the name of the other post you commented on is. Extra comments must be relevant to the post. Unlimited extra entries.
- Complete Contest Rules
This giveaway will end at 10pm PST on Tuesday July 26, 2011. Two winners will be chosen at random and notified by email. Winner will then have 72 hours to reply and claim their prize. Contest open to residents of the US only. Thank you so much and good luck!